The Banning Residence was built in 1864. This home’s construction symbolized Phineas Banning’s confidence in the future of his community. The 23-room residence remains the finest example of domestic Greek Revival architecture in Southern California. The house interiors have been carefully restored to their Victorian beauty, and 18 rooms are open to the public.
Rooms reflect decorative elements added during 60 years of family residence and demonstrate the eclectic nature of a home lived in by several generations.
The house and surrounding 20 acres of parkland were acquired by the City of Los Angeles in 1927. The Residence is a City, State, and National Historic Landmark. The Department of Recreation and Parks manages the Residence, Stagecoach, Barn, and Gardens in cooperation with Friends of Banning Museum, a private non-profit corporation. Friends of Banning Museum develops the historical aspects of the Museum and raises funds for continuing restoration and educational programs at the Museum.
Arm Chair Traveler: The Banning Museum with John Clayton (Part 1)
Arm Chair Traveler: The Banning Museum with John Clayton (Part 2)